Thursday, May 25, 2006

Gorgeous Yarn & a Good Book

Today I officially become a yarn snob! I just received my Socks That Rock yarn from Blue Moon Fiber Arts & the yarn is Gorgeous with a capital G!!

The only sock yarn I've used up until this point has been Lion Brand Magic Stripes yarn that cost me $8 for a pair of socks. I'm currently knitting with KnitPicks Essential yarn for my Columbine Peak socks & I have some KnitPicks Simple Stripes yarn waiting to be knitted (and now I think it may be waiting forever)! The KnitPicks socks are only costing me $6 for a pair, so the yarn is very inexpensive which is why I purchased it in the first place. At the time I thought it would be a good "test yarn" to see if I liked knitting socks. For heavens sake, now I realize that maybe I haven't completely enjoyed knitting socks because I wasn't using the best yarn!

I must also note here that the yarn for STR is 100% Superwash Merino medium weight & the LionBrand & KnitPicks yarns are a blend of 75% superwash wool & 25% nylon. This may make a difference, although I'd venture to guess that if Blue Moon Fiber Arts made a 75% wool/25% nylon blend, it would still be nicer than the others. I could be wrong....or could I?

I also received my books I ordered from the library: Dyeing to Knit by Elaine Eskesen & The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber. I ordered Dyeing to Knit because I thought it would be interesting to dye my own yarn, but after thumbing through the book, I may be over my head & I think I'll wait on that for awhile. The Shop on Blossom Street is just a regular old novel that is about a woman who opens a yarn store in Seattle & the relationships of the women who take her first knitting class. It struck a cord with me because obviously I love knitting and since I'm from Seattle, I thought it would be a fun read.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Ooo, I've GOT to try some of the STR! I just finished reading 'A Good Yarn' and really enjoyed it.