Thursday, September 14, 2006

He's Trekking now!


Pattern: Father and Son Socks by Mona Schmidt
Interweave Knits Fall 2006 magazine
Yarn: Trekking XXL color 101
Needles: Addis Turbos circulars size 2US
Notes: Don't knit this pattern with self patterning yarn.

If I had these to knit over again, I wouldn't use this yarn with this pattern. I really do love the pattern & I'm thinking of making a pair of these for each of my grandsons for Christmas. I don't know if I'd use this yarn again though. I like it, I just don't love it. Yes, it's less expensive than other sock yarns that I love, but not by enough. I should also figure out how to do calf shaping for DH since he has skinny ankles, but muscular calves (although it doesn't look that way in the photo). I think for these, I may have to weave some elastic in the top ribbing. Has anyone else done this before?

3 comments:

jillian said...

Those are so cute! I can see what you mean about using self-patterning yarn with that kind of pattern. But they still look great.

Boy howdy - sounds like you like only the most serious sock yarn!!

Lynda said...

I've never knit elastic into the top, but have considered it, and don't know why it wouldn't work.

I have come to the conclusion that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get Trekking yarn to make matching stripes. They still look great, though.

Mona Schmidt said...

Hello and thanks for your comment on my blog. Great job on the socks - it's exciting to find my pattern knit up by someone else but me!!!