Saturday, March 31, 2007

Blue Bamboo Zephyr Socks

Just in time for the very last day of Project Spectrum 2.0 and my Sock A Month KAL (although this is my second pair), I finally finished the socks!

Blue Bamboo Zephyr Socks


Pattern: Zephyr Socks
Source: Domesticat
Yarn: Regia Bamboo Color 1061
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace size 1 US; (2) 24" circulars

Modifications:
As usual, I knit these from the toe-up using Judy's Magic Cast-On. I kept the sole stitches to 26, but increased the instep stitches to 36. On the heel flap, I made sure I ended up with 27 stitches before starting the leg and kept the 36 stitches from the instep to end up with a total of 63 stitches on the leg section. The original pattern has 52 stitches, so I definitely had to take time to do recalculations to fit this yarn to my size 8 foot.

Notes: I'm going to confess my shortcomings that I chose the wrong pattern for this yarn and the wrong needles for this yarn. Independently I'm sure I would love each item, but together spelled misery for me. This pair of socks took a month to knit and they should have taken no more than 2 weeks. By the way, the jogless bind-off worked BRILLIANTLY! Thanks again Amber.
  • Pattern: It is brilliantly simple and easy to memorize. I recommend this pattern and will definitely keep it in my binder of favorites.
  • Yarn: I mainly purchased it out of curiosity because it had bamboo in it AND it was the perfect colorway for February/March Project Spectrum colors. The yarn is comprised of 45% bamboo, 40% wool and 15% polyamide. I enjoyed knitting with the yarn but I especially LOVE how the yarn feels on my feet. It's extremely light and airy and feels like you're barely wearing anything at all. In fact, if I were to wear socks with my lingerie (which I don't), these would be the perfect socks.
  • Needles: This was my first project with the new Addi Turbo Lace needles. My personal opinion is they are great, but definitely not for all yarns, like this bamboo yarn. Since the bamboo yarn doesn't glide like most other sock yarns, and since the lace needles grab the yarn a tiny bit, it was a bad combination. I definitely should have knit these with my KnitPicks Circular needles. That said, I'm definitely going to give these needles a try again with a different yarn and I definitely see the value of these needles when knitting lace. In fact, I will buy a pair specifically for my next lace project since the KnitPicks needles are too slick and the original Addi Turbo needles just aren't pointy enough.
I definitely recommend the yarn, the pattern and the needles, but not in combination together. Isn't it fun to have so many learning opportunities with each knitting project? I'm definitely learning so much in my knitting adventures.

Thanks to everyone who posted comments about my shawl. It's still sitting in time-out, but I have a feeling it may get a frogging soon.

15 comments:

Laura said...

The socks look fabulous, in spite of all the troubles you had with them. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing them in person. And feeling them as socks instead of simply as yarn. :-)

Micki said...

The socks are lovely! I think the yarn works wonderfully with the pattern. Of course, I'm not the one who spent a month wrestling with, er, knitting them :)

abby said...

Very pretty! The Bamboo does feel great, and it really holds up well in the wash. You'll be able to enjoy them for a long time to come!

Anonymous said...

I love your socks! Very pretty.

I did a pair of socks for my Dad in the Regia Bamboo and found it to be very splitty, which could have just been because with the color I had, I had trouble seeing the stitches - it looked blurry all the time. But, the socks were incredibly soft!

Lain said...

Oh my gosh, these look so good!
I will adopt your changes if I knit them (which I plan on doing).
xxoxo
Lain

jillian said...

Gorgeous! Great yarn for that pattern...you can see the lace but the slight variegation is visually interesting. Glad to hear you say the stitch pattern is easy. I have that pattern, but assumed it was a real attention-needer!

Lara said...

I love the socks. That is a great pattern! I will have to use is sometime. Isn't it funny how using certain needles with different yarns can cause issues? I am always having to choose my needles around the yarn I am using. And that has created a huge surplus of needles!

It seems like you are constantly cranking out socks! I don't know how you do it!

KeanaLee said...

Lovely, I really like the colors!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Really, I'm stunned! These socks turned out so absolutely beautiful - what a really awesome pattern this is! I will *so* have to try it soon! I also love the colours - now, this is the perfect pair of socks as it seems! Congratulations!

Kimberly said...

Oh those are great! I have that pattern just waiting to be knit. I think you've picked the perfect yarn for that pattern. :-)

Karen said...

Love those socks!!! I think it's a good thing when you get to the point where you realize little things like poor needle choice. I remember a time when I just thought it meant I was a bad knitter - so it's nice to know when you just chose the wrong tools for the job!!

Christine said...

You are so freaking talented woman! WOO HOO! BTW, how was boot camp?

KeanaLee said...

They rock, I really think they might be my favoriteist socks I have ever seen

Anonymous said...

Oh my gawd those are some seriously pretty socks! Wow.

Anonymous said...

oooo.... ahhhhh... those are really, really gorgeous!

I haven't tried the Bamboo yet, although there is some in my stash. So far I've knit mostly wool and wool blends with the Addi Lace needles and those have been just fine. Time will tell.