Wednesday, October 24, 2007

What I did last week

I thought I'd share a bit of my baby sisters visit to California. I was so thrilled that she was able to bring her family here to visit, although I definitely didn't get to spend as much time with them as I would have liked. Thankfully I'll be seeing them again in December when I fly into Salt Lake City, UT for the holidays.

My 8yr old niece Julia had been to Disneyland before, but this was Sydni's first time and since she just turned 3 a few days ago, it was the perfect age for her to visit. My sister, her husband and the 2 girls were at Disneyland Monday all day, but DH & I joined them on Tuesday afternoon for a half day at Disneyland, California Adventure, and then dinner at Goofy's Kitchen.

Did you know that candy corn grows on palm trees?

My sister and Sydni

Julia the Pirate

DH with Julia in the blue teacup

Left to right: me, Julia, Sydni, my sis

This is the look Sydni gets when she finds out that her favorite character, Snow White, has left and will not be returning anytime soon.

Julia with her Mickey cupcake


Julia and Sydni with Chip


I decided to rest & relax on Wednesday in preparation for my day back at Disneyland on Thursday, but the fibromyalgia reared its ugly head, so unfortunately Thursday I spent the day at home. It was extremely disappointing for me since I'd promised Julia that I'd ride her favorite rides that day, but unfortunately I had no choice.

Thankfully though on Friday afternoon I was feeling well enough to go have lunch at Ruby's Diner on the Balboa Pier at Newport Beach and then I got to watch the girls play on the beach and in the ocean. Everyone got much wetter than they thought they would, but the weather was perfect and everyone had a great time.

A beautiful day at the beach

Sydni thinks the water is too cold

Oh No! The water is coming to get you!

Watch out Julia, it's a big wave!

They all left for home on Saturday afternoon, which was obviously just in time since now so much of southern California is on fire. Luckily we live in an area that isn't affected by the fires nor will be, but when I step outside it smells like campfires burning and the air is dry and the horrendous Santa Ana winds are very hot. My heart really goes out to the evacuees and and all public safety workers battling the fires. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

By the way, the IK winter preview is up. What do you think?

15 comments:

Carole Knits said...

It looks and sounds like you had a nice visit, even if you did have to take it easy for a bit due to your fibromyalgia. Your sister looks just like you!

jillian said...

Looks like a great time! Your sis does look so much like you. I saw that first picture and thought "WOW" - that's sisters! Sorry you had a take a day off. How frustrating. I did see the IK preview - still ruminating on favorites. I think I like the simple scoopy neck one with the cable in the middle. I also love Eunny's fair isle vest.

Tammy said...

What fun! I'm glad you had a good visit before the fires.

Doesn't the winter IK look great? No shortage of options that's for sure.

Sarah said...

Hmm, I'm not all that excited about the IK preview, but I'm waiting to see my actual copy before I make any real judgments. I've always found that I get more excited with patterns once I've looked at them several times and lived with them for a while, so to speak.

Angelika said...

That looks like you had a great time. IK Winter is great. Can't wait to get it, but then I just bought the Holiday issue.

Lara said...

Looks like a fun "vacation"! I am sure your nieces enjoyed having you with them at Disneyland.

I am glad you are not too affected by the fires, though the smoke and ash is not fun either. I went to college in San Diego and the whole thing makes me sick to my stomach. I hope the fires end soon so everyone can recover.

slyn said...

You got some great pictures, can't wait to get my copy of them! Thanks so much for everything, we really did have a wonderful vacation and were sad you were not up to joining us more often, but so thankful for the time we did get to spend with you.
FYI- I had the chance to see all her knitting in person, and it is all even more beautiful in person. Especially Laura's design, I absolutely love it and wish you could see how beautiful it truely is.

flutter said...

Sydni's sad face is WAY TOO MUCH! oh!

Hasbu said...

Great pictures! Looks like you had lots of fun.

I am glad you didn't have to evacuate, I have a friend who had to. Her house is OK and she was able to return home yesterday.

Winter IK looks very promising. I can't wait to get my copy!

Karen said...

It looks like everyone had a wonderful time - although I'm sorry you weren't feeling up for the day on Thursday. Frustrating, isn't it? You are doing great though, and have such a good attitude, I'm so proud.

I've never been to Disneyland, but seeing the pictures makes me miss Disney World!! Your nieces are so cute, and your "baby sister" looks like she could be your twin!

KeanaLee said...

The face she is making when Snow White was gone is priceless, broke my heart. Hope all is well for you out there in wildfire area. Was thinking of you.

abby said...

It looks like the kids had a great time, except for Snow White's disappearance, of course. You and your sister look so much alike! I thought that first picture with Syndi was you.

Fingers crossed that the fires don't come any closer to you or your family...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice visit with your sister and her family (excluding Thursday, of course). You and her could be twins, you look so much alike!

As for IK - Looks like this issue has more that I'd actually knit than most.

Anonymous said...

Looks like a great time! As for IK - I miss the old models - they looked friendlier. Lovely knits though!

Anonymous said...

Awww, what a great time it seems you've all had! I *so* enjoyed looking at all these great pics - thanks so much for sharing!