Pattern: Swan Lake by Melanie Gibbons
KAL: Mystery Stole 3 (Yahoo Groups)
Source: Pink Lemon Twist (pattern to be released soon to anyone not in the KAL)
Yarn: Baruffa Cashwool; colorway 11 (black)
Needles: Addi Turbo Lace circular Size 3 (3.25 mm)
Finished Dimensions: 60" x 17"
I love that I decided to jump in with both feet and join this KAL. I've never done anything like this before because frankly, I'm a control freak. I want to know what, when, where and how with what I'm knitting, so this was a complete change for me.
There are a few things I would do differently if I were to knit this again:
- Pay attention to the blocking instructions. For those of you who have knit and blocked this stole, you'll notice in the photos that I obviously blocked this incorrectly. I forgot to make the points on the wing side. Please don't remind me though, I'm hoping I forget about it so I don't feel the need to re-block it.
- Use a different yarn. I like the yarn, but I don't love it. I wish I would've chosen a wool/silk blend (like the yarn she recommended) because I think I would've liked the drape better.
- Use a size 4 (3.5mm) or 5 (3.75mm) knitting needle. Although I think the Addi Turbo Lace needles are amazingly perfect for lace knitting, the size 3 (3.25mm) needles I used didn't create a fabric that was the overall size I wanted.
- Include the beads. Since I didn't know what the beads would look like in the stole, and since I was afraid it may look tacky, I wimped out and didn't include them. If I were to only change one thing about my stole, it would be to add the beads.
Also, look what came in the mail! It's my Loopy Ewe order! (click for bigger)
From Left to Right:
- Panda Cotton in College Prep (freebie)
- Louet Gems Pearl in Burgandy
- All Things Heather Sock in Raspberry
- Regia Design Line Kaffe Fassett in Mirage Storm
- ShiBuiKnits Sock in Midnight
- Addi Turbo Lace needles (to add to my growing collection)