Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Feathery Socks

Yes, it's another sporadic blog post, but I wanted to get these posted this month to show that I *did* knit something in July.


Pattern: Feather and Fan by Judith Sumner
Source: Socks, Socks, Socks
Yarn: Regia Silk 6-ply; color 0005
Needles: Knit Picks 24" circulars size 2.50mm (1 1/2US)

Modifications: I knit these from the toe-up (like that's a surprise to anyone who knows me) using Judy's magic cast-on because really, there's nothing better. I also omitted the "purl one round and knit one round" section right before you start the heel. My personal opinion is that the sock looks better without it.

I was very surprised at what an easy pattern this is, but the sock looks very intricate and difficult. It's a 16-stitch repeat over 4 rows, so it is easily memorized and it was a very quick knit. I liked the yarn, I loved the pattern and even though I love handpainted yarn, I'm glad I chose a solid color to really bring out the beauty of the pattern.

I know I mentioned a few posts ago that I was going to rewrite the Monkey pattern toe-up, but I ran across this little gem awhile back and thought I'd share it with you all. Momma Monkey has developed a conversion tutorial for how to convert a sock from top-down to toe-up, and she has also designed 3 Harry Potter Soctopia patterns (Nagini, Fawkes, and Bellatrix) that you can download for free! Now if you want to convert a pattern, you can refer to Momma Monkey's guide!

20 comments:

flutter said...

those are so beautiful. Are you on Ravelry?

Carole Knits said...

They are beautiful! And that is one of my favorite sock patterns, ever. I also eliminate that garter ridge between the leg and the heel.

Lara said...

Very cute socks! I am thinking I just may need to hire YOU to knit me some socks (I can send you the yarn of course) because I just can't seem to complete a pair. What is your fee???

Dave said...

Gorgeous socks -- very classy!!

Karen said...

Very pretty - and they do look so intricate and difficult. You should have told us they were SO HARD and you had to knit them in a quiet room - we would have believed you. But then again, I'm very impressed with them anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful! Great job! I'm going to check out the HP socks now.

Sarah said...

Lovely socks! I think you were right to pick a solid color for these, as I think the stitch pattern would get a little lost in a variegated colorway.

KeanaLee said...

cute cute cute & love the color, simple & classic

Micki said...

Pretty!

Anonymous said...

Lovely socks! I love feather & fan. I think the solid color was right on.

The A.D.D. Knitter said...

So beautiful, such a lovely combo of yarn and pattern.

Hasbu said...

Very pretty and the yarn color is perfect for the pattern.

Brena said...

Those are beautiful! How'd you like the yarn?

Lori's Light Extemporanea said...

Those are such lovely socks!

Laura said...

Your socks are gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful!

Teyani said...

fabulous socks- so lacey and delicate

abby said...

Eeek! How did I forget to comment? (I'm taking a break at work and seeing if Bloglines is still acting up by visiting around my favorites.)

The socks are lovely! I just printed out the directions for Judy's Magic Cast-On and am going to try it tonight. What sort of increases do you use for the toe? It never occurred to me to ask!

slyn said...

I love those socks! They are stunning as always. I would never take them off!

Anonymous said...

They are lovely, how come you don't report them to Summer of Socks, I'm your blog reader, just drop me a line and all SOSers can admire the pretty socks!